Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Los Medicos y Otras Observaciones

So I spent a wonderful weekend in Sevilla which is as beautiful, warm and sunny (Spain just refuses to celebrate the fall) and so full of history it is ridiculously overwhelming!! The only problem with all of this wonderful traveling is that I have a sinus infection. And it can´t just be any usual sinus infection but in fact is the most painful one I have ever experienced.

Because of my travel plans, I caved in and went to the doctor with my program director yesterday. I know I have spoken about how cheap healthcare is in Spain but let me just reiterate the numbers for you. An office visit: 40 euros. Four medications, including an antibiotic: 26 euros. Another interesting thing is that when you arrive in a doctor´s office, you have to find out who the last person in line in front of you is in the waiting room. No one calls out your name -- you just have to keep an eye on the door. Anyway I was in the room for all of about 2 minutes while the doctor felt my sinuses and prescribed a mountain of cures. I am definitely feeling a lot better now though.

Other than this little bump in my daily schedule, things have been moving along quite well. Other than sleep and homework, life has been going by as usual: nights spent at bars eating tapas or churros y chocolate, days spent window shopping and hanging out with the host family. I spent a rather crowded and smokey night watching France beat Ireland in a heated World Cup qualifier. Although I was there with several Frenchies, I was definitely cheering for Ireland. I mean, at least I can cheer for them in my own language! I am also leaving for a weekend in Barcelona tonight and I am very excited about seeing all of Gaudí´s works and the "Paris of Spain". I will definitely let you know how that goes, especially since I am going to Morocco next weekend and so I should be trying to keep up on my posting a bit.

Once again, another short post. I just don´t seem to have the time to write anything that interesting anymore!! Too much fun to be had out and about!

No comments:

Post a Comment