Sunday, September 6, 2009

Los Echo de Menos

For me, Sundays have always been a kind of day for reflection because usually they're the day when I am the least busy. So today, my first lazy weekend day spent in Granada, I am feeling a little homesick. Maybe it's just because I'm tired or because it is actually raining in Oregon, but I really really just want to be home now, relaxing and watching the Travel Channel. Things always seem better and more exciting when someone else is doing them. Traveling, or I guess in my case, living abroad, is plain tiring, especially once the novelty wears off.

At the same time, I feel like I haven't been taking full advantage of this experience. Sure I've already seen a lot in Andalucia, but the day to day living is what's not exactly turning out to be like I planned. For one, it's really hard to speak Spanish all the time with American students here. We either forget we're supposed to be speaking it at all or it's really hard to get to know people through their various levels of Spanish ability. Furthermore I have yet to meet any actual Spaniards apart from my teachers and host family. Sure I've gone into stores or restaurants and spoken to them but I want to make Spanish friends which is also proving hard since I'm only taking classes with American students.

I guess I'm just past the so-called "honeymoon" stage of studying abroad. I'm not really sure what I should be doing differently but as they say, something's got to give. Or maybe I should just lower my expectations. When I told people I was coming to Spain they always said it sounded amazing. Yeah, it is, but at the same time, it's like living anywhere else. And it's still not home.

5 comments:

  1. Never lower those expectations-the wonder of experiences occur when you are open to receiving them. As to wanting to watch the Travel Channel, you are LIVING it....and rain can be overrated at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without endangering your safety, why don't you try slipping away from your classmates for a while and just strolling about parts of the city where everyday folks live? Say nice things about people's flower gardens, pet some cats, pick out some place on a map and go looking for it yourself. Supermarkets can also be surprisingly interesting -- what do people buy, how much does it cost, could I live on it? You'll remember the supermarket better than some castle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha leave it to the Uncles for good advice. I am definitely spending a lot of time wandering the city streets-- don't worry, I feel safer here than in downtown Salem. Things are looking up, I just need to adjust my attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As an easy way to adjust your attitude, why not just try to get plenty of rest? Being in a foreign country 24-7 is exciting, yes, but it is also extremely tiring, far more than people realize. Even if you don't feel sleepy you might be exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely understand what you mean, the honeymoon stage is definitely over here, and the experience is far different from the expectations I had. It's really easy to get down in the dumps about it, just keep trying. I suppose its different since I live in a dorm and see more people regularly, but just keep trying to have conversations with people anywhere you can. It feels awkward and is difficult, but the conversations are interesting and as I have found, people love talking about their culture and learning about ours...

    ReplyDelete