Thursday, September 3, 2009

La Vida Diaria

First of all, can I just say thanks everyone for reading and commenting? Emily and Zach-- how the heck are you? Katie, haha I'm not going to try the oven thing. And Dad, hey you want to know the truth, right?

So I have started to settle into a sort of schedule and though it may sound boring, it's definitely nice to have a sense of normalcy. I have 4 hours of intensive Spanish classes every day, from 9AM-1PM which I'm actually enjoying because then I don't have to walk to school in the heat of the morning. The walk to school is about 30 minutes and we're even starting to recognize the same people. One of my favorite cafes, Cafe Futbol which has the best churros and chocolate in the city, is beginning to become a familiar place. There's even one waiter that recognizes us by sight when we walk by and says "buenos dias" every day. Then it's home again for lunch, a siesta, some facebook or homework time, maybe even a telenovela or two. My culture class usually starts at 5 or 6 in the afternoon after which we will take our time walking back or do a little window shopping on the way home. Dinner is generally tiny (and similar to breakfast) and at around 10 PM.

I'm still sure I'm going to get hit by a car or run over by a moped. There is no way they should be able to fit down those streets but somehow, they manage. I've learned to suck in my stomach to avoid those rear-view mirrors. Jaywalking is also a studied art here as you never know when someone will run a light or when exactly that red light means stop. This may seem somewhat risky but it's either that or stand out in the sunshine longer than necessary and at least cars are good about stopping for pedestrians. I'm also learning to seek out shady areas of sidewalks and streets, darting from side to side of the street like a lizard. In other words, I'm feeling more and more like a local.

Night has become my favorite time of day to walk around since between 9-12 everyone is out on the streets, buying ice cream or just sitting in the plazas. I've decided that if I could choose, I would like to be an old Spanish man in Granada. Let me explain. Everywhere you go, there are old men with canes and hats and dressed to the 9s, sitting in the plazas watching people pass by or talking fervently with the bar owners after the main lights of the bars have been shut off and everyone has gone home for the night. They're never in a hurry, will tip their hat to you on your walk by and seem to be great friends with every other old man living in Granada.

As for Spaniards in general, they are definitely talkative and open, although direct as a whole. They love to talk about what they love about Spain but they are also ready to be critical of the country as well. They take their time walking and almost never say "excuse me" when they brush into you on the street. Despite warnings from friends that all Europeans like to talk to you in English, I'm finding that most Andalucians are content to have me muddle through with my Spanish and they will respond to me in Spanish at least. And yes, I have to wear shoes around the house...

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you will make friends with one of these old men like Kate Winslet in "The Holiday." I can see it happening!

    ReplyDelete