Tuesday, October 20, 2009

La Vida Simple

Technology: Can't live with it, can't live without it. I never understood just how dicey this relationship was until my time abroad. You see, my computer crashed on Sunday. Completely and utterly will not work. Which in any case is awful but it is especially worse when you are abroad. After all, it's my contact with the outside world and without it, how will I write this blog that I know you are all anxiously awaiting every Sunday and Wednesday (Yeah about that... I know it´s Tuesday. My writing may be a little less regular now that I'm computerless at home? More importantly, how will I keep up with Mad Men or Gossip Girl or the Tudors?

In reality, what seemed like an end of the world scenario to me has proven to be almost a blessing in disguise. You see, I have been spending way more time online at my home here than I care to admit. And now that I must walk 20 minutes to the school to use the internet, I am actually doing what I initially set out to do: read more, study more, watch more Spanish tv, and just plain get out of the house. I am not completely cut off from the world because my cell phone still works and I do have computer access at school, but it is forcing me to actually be productive. I have been finding it so easy here to sit around for most of the afternoon, spending hours on facebook or watching those American tv series I think I can´t live without.

My disc to reformat my hard drive should be arriving next week and I have my pictures online and on an external hard drive so all is not lost. At this point, I am (almost) happy it happened. Especially since I stumbled upon a tv channel last night that was showing the dubbed version of a Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes episode. Just remember, if you don´t hear from me for a while, I am [probably] not stranded in a small Spanish village without food, water or money. Rather, I am taking a long walk or trying to figure out what all those weird Spanish words in Unamuno´s book mean. ¡Que guay!

No comments:

Post a Comment